Tuesday, March 1, 2011

tag roll 03/02/2011

  • "In a 2007 study, UNICEF rated the treatment of children in the 23 wealthiest countries in the world based on 40 indicators of child well-being. Which two countries received the lowest ratings?"
    -For this question I got the answer wrong. I thought that a lower economically standing country would have less care for their child. When in fact it is the U.S and the U.K. The places with the most material and business driven people are the ones who care less for their children. That was an extremely sad statistic to read.
    "The U.S. military budget is by far the highest of any country in the world. How much higher is the U.S. military budget than that of China, the world’s second biggest military spender? "
    -The U.S is a big spender in everything we do. When I reached high school I learned in history that the U.S was in great deficit and had much to repay to other countries. How much I did not know but I knew that it was alot more than we had. I was surprised that I got this answer wrong. I over estimated the total of our military budget. It's was a small relief to know that we did not owe as much as i thought.

  • I chose the lesson plan idea called "Who We REALLY Are." This is under the reading and literature section and pertains from grades 1-5. This lesson starts out with the teacher reading a storybook that is about a girl who says what she looks like on the outside but then says something about who she is on the inside. Then after the story the kids discuss the story in groups and then spend time doing a journal assignment in which they do the same as the book. They describe themselves outwardly and then inwardly. This allows kids to think about who they really are and learn to describe themselves and when they share they see how different and similar the people are around them. I would make this a definite part of my teaching curriculum because it is important to learn about oneself and embrace people's differences.

    tags: ed422 resources tolerance

  • After taking the quiz I discovered that my three top learning styles are
    1. Interpersonal - 69%
    2. Interpersonal - 69%
    3. Musical - 58%
    These weren't much of a surprise Since they matched perfectly to who i am. Afterward, I watched the video "Howard Gardner on Multiple Intelligences." This was an interesting video because he was discussing the different 8 types of learning but also saying how educators don't have to teach 8 different ways but rather insure that their students are learning the material and if not look to a different way to teach it. He also was saying that he believes schools "cover too many topics and teach way to many subjects...so that intelligence covers a mile wide and a inch deep." I agree entirely with this because it is true. Children aren't learning anything nowadays except how to take tests and memorize facts that will go in one ear and out the other. We need to change the way our education system is set up.

    tags: ed422 edutopia multipleintelligence

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment